Tuesday, September 9, 2008

Homemade laundry detergent a success!

Here is my container of soap shavings that is the base of my laundry detergent. I used a paring knife but a cheese grater would most likely be easier and quicker. The shavings are a tad big but they are so cute!


Here is the finished product -- soap shavings, borax, and washing soda. It was very easy to make and works great too!

My dip into the world of making my own laundry detergent is a success! It was very easy to make and my clothes turned out very clean and fresh.

Here's what I used:
Bar of white soap
1 cup borax
1 cup washing soda

Using a paring knife, I shaved the entire bar of soap. This took about 20 or 30 minutes but I was also taking care of a 16-month-old during that time. (I shaved the bar into one of my many plastic 0ne-gallon ice cream containers that I have saved over the summer. Yay! Finally a use for them, although I could use something half the size or less.)

Next I just added the borax and washing soda, put the lid on the container, and shook it up. I dropped a scoop (about 1 1/2 to 2 teaspoons, I didn't measure.) All done!

Easy enough.

I put my concoction to the test right away. There just so happened to be a load of almost dry clothes in the dryer that judging by the smell, had been left in the washing machine too long. Yuck. If it could get that clean it could get anything clean.

I put a scoop of detergent in the washer, turned on the water and threw in the clothes, just like you would with any detergent. I would normally have put a half a cup or so of vinegar in there but I didn't have any.

The clothes came out of the washer looking and smelling very clean and fresh, without much of a noticeable scent. They came out of the dryer feeling like I should have put some vinegar in the water.

I pronounced it an overall success. Next time I will cut down on the amount of detergent used and add a bit of vinegar to the wash water.

As for a cost breakdown, the bar of soap was about $1, the box of washing soda was $2.99 at Kroger, and the Borax was $3.49 at Kroger. There's enough washing soda and Borax to make tons more laundry detergent. I'm also going to be using it to clean other things, though.

4 comments:

Laura said...

Wow, I'm impressed. I'll look to get a jar of this from you to try!

AudreyO said...

Have you tried it yet?

Jo said...

Good for you!

Jo

smbwallace said...

Laura, wow, you're impressed! I'm impressed that you are impressed! ;) I will give you some this weekend!

Audrey, yes I've been using it and I love it! My first load came out very clean and fresh-smelling and I was hooked! So easy and cheap and it works!

Jo, thanks! So glad I decided to try this!